Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mealie Meal and other delicacies

While I run all over town looking for mascarpone cheese and shelling out untold sums of cash for imported grocery items like, oh, I don't know, onions. Zambians are home counting their kwacha and happily dining on their staple foods, Nshima and relish. Every so often we get a hankering for Nshima and so have the housekeeper prepare it for us -- on the surface it is not difficult to prepare, but my nshima (or 'shima) would NEVER pass muster, especially because I usually try to add some rosemary, olive oil and salt. Obrin obliges (after having seen my nshima) and even make it up with my favorite side, chibwabwa (pumpkin leaves) with groundnuts.

Thank you Wikipedia for this entry (gotta love the internet) on Nshima: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nshima

No comments: